Friday, August 15, 2008

Oh Nastia, how you amaze me!

I am sure there is absolutely no person that is interested in my talking points about gymnastics, BUT since it is my blog, I don't care. I have always loved gymnastics. In fact, I took gymnastics before I ever started ballet. I must have shown some talent, because they moved me up a few levels and the coach wanted me to be on the team. For some reason, after that I quit and turned to dancing. Anyway, I can remember where I was when saw Mary Lou Retton win the gold. We were at the beach and I remember how my sister and I were practicing our cartwheels and roundoffs in the hallway! I digress....last night was AMAZING. I stayed up until well past midnight to watch Nastia Liukin take the gold. She is usually in the background next to Shawn Johnson, but she is my personal favorite (big surprise). She combines the power of gymnastics with the beauty and grace of dance ( she so obviously takes ballet classes). She doesn't even have the typical "gymnast" body. I was so impressed with how she handled the extreme pressure and how she basically rocked all of her routines. I think most impressing was when they showed her and Shawn on the today show and how they are actually good friends and very kind and supportive of one another. How awesome it was to see someone on top of the podium that a.)is an American b.)was well deserving & c.) has definitely lost all of her baby teeth!!!!!!! ;)

5 comments:

Jen said...

I totally agree with you. I was very happy as well....enjoy your weekend.

Christy said...

I agree!!!

I stayed up to watch it last night and nearly woke up the neighborhood cheering and yelling!!

Clay even enjoyed it LOL

Kearsmom said...

Absolutely! She was amazing!

Banana had fun yesterday! Loved class!

Anonymous said...

Nastia is great, but not the all American girl. She was born in Russia and her father is Russian. She moved to the USA when she was 3 years old. Shawn Johnston is more of a gymnst. She is consist with her routines. Shawn is just the girl next door. I'm glad they both got the gold and silver, but Shawn should have gotten gold.

Andrea said...

Anonymous,

I am well aware that Nastia was born in Russia, but she has lived the majority of her life in TX (very close to where I went to high school). I do not hold the fact that her parents are Russian against her. I was just stating my opinion on how much I like her style. Shawn is excellent as well but since I am a ballet dancer, I naturally like Nastia a little bit better! :)