Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Lesson Learned and Open for Suggestions....

I learned something the hard way today.  It really doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize this, but I guess I am a slow learner.  Here it is:  I MUST have protein throughout the day.  What is the result of me not getting enough protein?  One tired, sluggish, shaky, irritable, and crazy mommy!!!!  SERIOUSLY! I got up at 5:30 and did my workout.  Then for breakfast today, I had coffee and something I shall not list, but trust me when I say it wasn't healthy and it had no protein in it...!  For lunch, I met someone out at a restaurant that I do not normally eat in and I had a hard time finding something that sounded good, so I went with what my friend was getting.  It was pasta and basically all carbs....plus I talked alot and didn't eat very much!  All of this to say that by this afternoon, I was so cranky and about to lose it.  I will NOT be doing that again.  Now, I am asking for some help.  I need good and healthy snacks that include protein.  I get the 3pm sluggies and I need something that will help energize and regulate my blood sugar, especially before I go teach.  Any suggestions?  My children and students thank you.......;)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Peanut butter- with apples, on whole grain crackers, celery, etc...PB is a great boost for me. The kids and I just had a peanut butter/banana smoothy the other day- sooo good!

How about low fat cheese sticks? Think Polio String cheese.

Fat free milk?

hmmm...do you like protein shakes? We like Spirutein Vanilla. We mix just a little with some milk and the kids LOVE it for a mid day snack.

I am the same way, if I don't eat little snacks, I get shaky and can't think, and am grouchy as the dickens.

Hope you feel better.

Christy said...

clif z bars are awesome, I also will eat a piece of whole wheat bread with a little smear of pb on it....ummm...string cheese with an apple...

I will say that most of my protein intake is in the morning-I get up earlier and eat one scrambled egg with whole wheat toast or a bowl of oatmeal and I have found that this really helps my blood sugar levels more than snacks or even eating a lunch with protein.

Oh, another snack is a cup of chocolate milk. We use fat free chocolate milk or plain milk with ovaltine stirred in (has a ton of vitamins) and it is really good

Christy said...

OH, more I just thought of.

I love almonds and other nuts-your body doesn't store almonds, just uses it as energy so I will eat a few of those with some light string cheese or a few wheat thins and the combo makes me feel so much better.

I also love pretzel chips with hummus, one of those mini bagels with light cream cheese, a small bowl of raisin bran or other high fiber cereal

Kearsmom said...

I've been known to go after the peanut butter jar with a spoon. It's quick and easy...except that I then have to wash the spoon, wash my hands, wash my mouth....(Banana is allergic to peanuts).

Cheese...

An egg for breakfast. I don't like them boiled, but if you do, you could do several at a time and keep them in the fridge...

Banana is the same way...she has to have protein through the day or she gets tired and cranky.