Friday, January 15, 2010

Show Us Your Life: Diet, Exercise, Healthy Tips

Kelly at Kelly's Korner is asking for diet, exercise, and healthy tips. I have always been a "petite" girl. This is partly due to my genetics. My parents are both small. I grew up never having to worry about exercise because I was so involved in ballet. I danced daily through highschool and then professionally for five years. After finishing up my dancing career, it was hard to find some sort of exercise program that would work for me. I will just say it....I HATE WORKING OUT! It has taken years and I am still not there. What does work for me? I do try to make it to the gym a few days a week. I walk/run on the treadmill and I do weights. I also like the ellyptical and taking Body Pump classes. The Body Pump is a great class to take for toning. It is an hour of weights for every part of your body!!! You will be sore though! The best part of the workout for me is when it is OVER and I am leaving the gym...ha! Unfortunately, since I am in my late 30's it is not an option anymore...it is a must!! I also teach ballet classes twice a week, but I don't really count that as my workout. It does help in the area of flexibility since I stretch with my students. As far as diet, I have tried everything. When I was dancing, I struggled with an eating disorder. I wanted to be super skinny and it really affected my mindset. The ONLY thing that has ever worked for me is not denying myself anything. I do try to only eat when hungry and stop when full. There is something about telling yourself you can't have something and it makes you want it even more. I can't do that. I try not to eat late at night if at all possible. I also try to eat healthy. I buy as much organic as possible. I will NOT buy anything but organic milk. I have daughters and I just don't want them drinking all those added hormones. I also try to buy hormone-free meat whenever possible. I have a website that I love ....it is called www.mealmakeovermoms.com I have their cookbook and I like how they take ordinary kid friendly food and improve it and make it healthier. Most everything I have made from the book and website, my family has enjoyed. I have a long way to go in the road to improved health. I am HORRIBLE about taking supplements and drinking enough water. Hopefully in 2010, I can improve and take better care of the life God has blessed me with! :)

2 comments:

Christy said...

you have always been gorgeous!

I love that website as well-my family also loves all the recipes.

Kearsmom said...

I have the hardest time getting motivated. My days are so busy, and when I have "free time" (whatever that is) I find that I just want to veg, or watch tv, or play on the computer. My Wii fit has been helpful because, while it may not be the BEST exercise, I figure it's better than none. But I still have to get motivated to go in there and turn it on...