Monday, February 12, 2007

I said I wouldn't do it but....

I did! Are you wondering what IT is? Well, on Friday morning after I dropped the twins at school, I went and sat for TWO hours to sign Noah up for pre-school! YIKES!!!! I scoffed at the idea of doing this when my neighbor told me two years ago that she had gone at 6am to get her son in! *I* would NEVER do that! As I drove in the pouring rain towards the church, I was going back and forth about whether to do this or not. You see, Noah can go to the same mother's morning out program next year that he is currently attending. I love his school. It is small and he enjoys going. However, I really want him to be in a good Pre-K program for the 2008 school year so I figured it would be easier to get him in for this coming fall and then I won't have to worry about lines and waiting lists. So, we pull up in the parking lot and I don't see any lines. This isn't so bad! Well, I park and haul Noah through the rain and into the fellowship hall. Low and behold there is a BIG group of parents already assembled and there is a sign up sheet to put the order that you arrived. I was number 25! I still decided to stick around. The director was supposed to get there at 8 am. She was TEN minutes late. Normally, one wouldn't think much of that but when you find out that certain people arrived at ONE am, you can understand the tense atmosphere. She starts to call numbers. I am thinking this is going to go fast. NO WAY! It seems every person she called up took a minimum of 10 minutes to "chat". Then we find out that we aren't even registering for real. We are just signing up for a WAITING LIST!!!! Now I am no rocket scientist, but couldn't we just have put our name and number on the sheet and let her call us with a yea or neigh? Also, why in the heck would you have ONE person working the table? You have to know that it is going to be like this year after year! It made absolutely no sense to me, but I stayed because at this point it is a pride issue and I am GOING to get my son on that list! This is the BEST preschool in the town and I want him IN!!!! So finally, two hours later and we get to number 21!!! I only have a few more to go and it is my turn. The director stands up and says she is taking a bathroom break. Ok, yes she is allowed to do that but by this point all us moms ( and a few dads) are pretty much nearing the end of our patience! She took at least 10 minutes for her potty break. I was doing my best not to scream!!! She sits back down and a woman that the rest of us are just sure came in later, goes up there and starts talking to the director. We are all silently muttering " who is she", "what does she think she is doing", "grr grr grr". We send a dad up there to check it out. He reports to us that she must have slipped in super early and put her name on the list cause she is indeed registering ( for the waiting list)! FINALLY....after what seems like hours more, we are at the end of # 24's turn! I am next! I stand up and get ready to go and in walks a woman with her child. She walks right up to the director and they start chit chatting. I am FUMING!!!!! This woman was not registering, she was just having a little "oh my goodness how are you?" talk! HELLO......I have been sitting in this room for over TWO HOURS!!!! It is my turn! You better Move it or lose it sistah!!!!! All my *new* mommy friends ( amazing how close you get after sitting together for that long) are telling me to go up there and let the director see that I am not so happily waiting. So I stand in the directors line of sight. FINALLY, she says goodbye to this PERSON!!! It is officially MY TURN! I walk over and tell her my childs name,age, birthdate and she asks me how Five days a week sounds? I said that would be fine but my first choice is M-W-F. She adds me to that waiting list and tells me that the five day program looks very promising. This took a total of five minutes and Noah and I were leaving! I waited all that time to be told that I *might* get in. Does anyone see something wrong with this picture? I SWORE ( and I don't really swear) that I wouldn't do this! UGH......it must have been the peer pressure! Thinking back, I guess I did do something similiar with the twins five years ago and I wouldn't accept anything less then the best for my little guy! By the way, do you want to know the kicker to this sweet tale? If we end up moving, Noah won't even attend this school! Go ahead and call me crazy! I already know that I am! ;)

3 comments:

Diane said...

Only because you said I could call you crazy, I'll call you crazy! Just Kidding! Of course you want the best for little Noah...this is just one sacrifice of many you'll have to make for Noah.

Diane

Christy said...

LOL You are too funny.. I could just see it. What we do for our kids... I would put that right up there with cleaning up their bodily fluids...

Christy

Jennifer in MS said...

Oh Andrea....you are hilarious! I can just see you cursing under your breath about to blow a fuse! I can totally relate, my friend......I HATE waiting! Especially when it seems so senseless like that.